Close

How we used to live

The first residents of the Lambeth Estate, from 1824, would have perhaps been builders, joiners, printers, furniture makers, saddlers, blacksmiths, clothing makers, butchers, bakers, teachers or nurses. Originally, all the houses were rented.

We know from censuses that the streets were much more densely populated than now.

As many as 20 people lived in each Roupell Street house, split between four small rooms (toilets were outside in the back yard). Signs of these living arrangements can still be seen in some houses – each room had a lock on the door and a separate hearth for heating and cooking.

The finish in each room also tells us about the wealth of the occupants. The front room on the ground floor has a more elaborate fireplace surround, and detailed wooden panelling. It would have commanded the highest rent. The other rooms would have rented for less, and have plainer fireplace surrounds and panelling.

Poverty map

Our predecessors fared relatively well against the surrounding area in the maps produced by Charles Booth’s Inquiry into Life and Labour in London between 1886 and 1903. Each street is coloured to indicate the income and social class of its inhabitants. At that time, Theed Street was known as Palmer Street.

Shaded red  “fairly comfortable, good ordinary earnings”

Solid red  “mixed, some comfortable, others poor”

Shaded blue  “poor – 18 to 21 shillings a week for an average family”

Solid blue  “very poor, casual, chronic want”

Blitz spirit

Hits and misses

During the second world war, all our streets suffered damage - as London County Council maps record. Most could be repaired, but a few houses on Whittlesey Street between Windmill Walk and Theed Street were completely rebuilt as flats.

Black and white

To help move around in the night-time blackout, residents painted the kerbs white.

Shops and pubs

Flower power

There were once five shops in Roupell Street. Phoebe sold flowers at prices for all - second hand blooms were collected from hotels like The Savoy whilst still fresh enough to sell for others to enjoy.

Cutting through time

The longest-running shop is the barber's - now Valentino's - cutting hair for generations, though the styles have changed!

King's Arms

The King's Arms in Roupell Street is known by established locals as Bonsie's, after the family who were landlords for many years. The name lives on for those who take their drinks up the stairs behind the bar to Bonsie's Room.

White Hart

The White Hart, at the corner of Cornwall Road and Whittlesey Street, has recently restored its old Wenlock Brewery facade and inside added memorabilia about Astley's Circus.

St Andrew's School

In 1868, two years ahead of the law which brought in education for all children between the ages of 5 and 12, St Andrew’s School was built in Roupell Street. There were 1,000 pupils, and on Monday evenings classes for adults “whose education has been neglected in early youth”.

 

The architect, Edmund Woodthorpe, also designed a matching accommodation for teachers next to the school, and a mission hall behind, where there were magic lantern shows on damp winter nights.

 

The school is now used by EF for language teaching, and the house privately occupied.

Tradition continues... we've always loved a good party!

1937

Coronation of King George VI, Whittlesey Street

2012

Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, Roupell Street

2014

'Sound of Music' singalong, Waterloo East Theatre

2019

New Year party at The Warehouse, Theed Street

Thanks to our friends and neighbours whose support helps make LERA events possible

The Warehouse, The King’s Arms, The White Hart, Konditor, Waterloo East Theatre, 1901 Arts Club